Have you ever thought about cereal marketing?
First, let’s watch two (delightfully vintage) ads for cereal. View the Rice Krispies ad above.
Now watch this 1950s Heart of Oats ad:
1. Who is the target audience? Why?
2. How do we know these commercials are not from 2020? Why do they feel “old?”
Let’s move on to contemporary cereal advertising.
Look at the Rice Krispies on the left.
1. What does this box say about who Kellogg’s wants to attract?
2. How about the purple Cheerios box? What is the main draw here?
3. Why are kids’ cereals placed on the lower shelves at grocery stores?